Why aluminium in offshore?
Aluminium is an ideal material for offshore structures and vessels of all kinds.
- Aluminium is non-combustible. It has better fire protection capabilities than carbon fiber, which contains flammable.
- Secondly, aluminium is strong, with strong engineering in support.
- Despite its strength, aluminium is very light, thanks to its low density. Vessel designers can achieve weight savings of 40 percent over steel.
- Lower costs can be achieved in the construction phase of shipbuilding through advances in cutting and welding processes.
- Aluminium can reduce maintenance costs because it is less corrosive than steel, which is a clear benefit in salt water, and it doesn’t need to be painted, which is an advantage for offshore applications.